Monday, January 19, 2009

Leadership Lesson from a Six Year Old

So, every night before "bedtime" my 6 year old runs to me with his "reader" and says, "OK, Dad, I'm ready to read, let's go." And dutifully...I go. I mean the kid never misses. It's clockwork. It's routine. It's breathing.

Then, it hits me. If I was half as committed to things as he was...

So, tonight, I observed. And, like the ever-learning leader I pretend to be, I got these 6 things out of it while we, I mean he, was reading.

One: When it's time to do something, just do it; just show up and do it. "Do you feel like reading tonight, son?" He answered in the most apathetic of tones, "not really, but I gotta finish this chapter."

Two: Concentrate; eliminate distractions. I asked him where he wanted to read. He said, "In your office, Rafe (younger brother) is not allowed in there."

Three: Shut up and listen. Now, for the record, my son didn't tell me to shut up. However, he did tell me to not help him sound out big words, "just listen and let me figure it out!"

Four: Repetition really is the mother of all skill. Half way through the reading, I break #3 (you know, shut up and listen) and say, "You're really doing better!" He replies, "Well, it seems like I'm reading the same words over and over, I'd be stupid if I wasn't getting better." I'm sure he was thinking, "Well, duh?"

Five: Learn the Basics. "Dad, did you ever have to read these kids books?" "Yes, son." "Cool, then I'll get to read big books one day, like you?"

Six: Partnerships are Priceless. "Dad, this is my favorite part of the day..." "What do you mean, son?" "I really like learning to read with you, I don't like doing it by myself."

Well, thanks God. Another reminder that I don't have it figured out...

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! What a great thing you've taught us all and then mostly the life lesson you've taught your son!

    Thanks for sharing this Jeff...you're a wonderful Daddy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 20, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

  • Big day for me at work tomorrow. The state committee that provides our accreditation visits for two days. These tasks have been my labor pains, now it's time to see the baby. It will all depend on how well I've lead my teachers. So now the time I apply Lessons 1, 2, and 3.

    By Blogger principal99, At January 20, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

  • Jeff Flowers is my son and the teacher in this story is my grandson. Principal99 (see comment) is my son as well who is also raising a son with another on the way. I am very proud of my sons because they are both very intelligent astute young men and they both are amazing young fathers and only some day when they are grandfathers will the young men and ladies that they are raising will understand how fortunate they are. I know this because now my sons know how fortunate they were to have a father who was patient, kind, loving and also took the time to learn from the little ones. Didn't Jesus say Blessed are the Children? In my view these men(my sons) and their father are all proof that the children in this family are all blessed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home