Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Being Truthful...With Yourself

Today's quiet time with God was one of those not so quiet moments. In a matter of 10 minutes I heard loud and clear the question: Are you truthful with yourself? I hate it when that happens!

In a noble effort to return to the basics of discipleship in 2009, I confidently turned to Galatians 6 hoping to get a word about bearing my friends' burdens...then came verse 7. DO NOT BE DECEIVED: GOD IS NOT MOCKED. OUCH!!!

Jesus had a relentless passion for truth and I , as every "good law abiding Christian" should, do too. I spend half my pathetic life seeking to correct the injustices and lies that are perpetrated on humanity from the media, the gossips and the fibbers known for their tall tales. In fact, my truth detector has been tuned to a perfect pitch, justifiably aligned with "the Wooordddd of Gaaawwwwdddd" and ready to alarm at any sign of penetration. I'm good, I'm right and I know it! Awe, the false illusions to which I so tightly clutch and cling.

I heard one time that it takes guts to be honest with oneself. I guess that's true or else so many of us would not lie to ourselves and take comfort in our grand rationalizations and realities. And what about those easy, self-indulging justifications that conform us to the world's brand of truth? How easily we justify our "freedoms in Christ" and then forget that we gave up our rights when we chose to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. The Book of James says it this way: "We look in the mirror, then walk away and immediately forget what we look like." This is certainly true in my profession; self-deception seems to be the ordre du jour. The senseless defenses we as pastors seem to come up with to make ourselves feel significant at the cost of truth in our own lives is astonishing. We believe discipleship is more Bible study, that "holiness" is the point of walking with God and that the size of our congregations are the proof of our church's success. Generosity, affirmation and justice are words we hardly utter to our "podcast followers." For many Christians, discipleship has become as much a brand as the cute little apple on the back of their computers. I'm cool if I have an iPhone, right?

Could I interpret Galatians 6:7 this way: Don't mislead yourself...God will not be fooled. If so, I guess the pursuit of truth must start with less of a moral eye on everybody else and more of an transparent eye on myself. To quote Brennan Manning, "The first step in the pursuit of truth...is not the decision to stop deceiving others. It is the decision to stop deceiving ourselves."

"For whatever one sows, that will he also reap."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • As Derek Webb kindly reveals, "The truth is not sexy, nor does she need any help making enemies." Honestly I don't care for Truth because it's always eating my lunch. I like my lunch. Seriously, thanks for your encouragement today. I needed it. You continually rock my face off. Wise you be Obi-wan.

    For sure, your pursuit of honesty and truth are evident and one does not have to look hard to find them in you. Yeah Boy!!!

    By Blogger AO, At January 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

  • That was very powerful yesterday hearing you talk about this. The chapter continues on to say "Let us not be weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Your insight and this verse combined have challenged me to become truthful with MYSELF and not to give up. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    By Blogger Shannon, At January 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home