Monday, March 30, 2009

What's Next on the Reading List

I'm reading & reviewing another book for Th. Nelson, The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. I am really excited about this one, because I've been kind of desparate for a book that challenges my faith ever since I read My Beautiful Idol by Pete Gall.

Richard Stearns is the president of World Vision. This organization is a "Christian relief and development organization dedicated to helping children and their communities worldwide reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty."

Stearns holds a bachelor’s degree from Cornell University and an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. From 1977 to 1985, he held various roles with Parker Brothers Games, culminating in his appointment as president in 1984. In 1985, he became a vice president at The Franklin Mint, then joined Lenox in 1987 as president of Lenox Collections. In 1995, Stearns was named president and chief executive officer of Lenox Inc., overseeing $500 million in annual sales. He joined World Vision as president in 1998.

Learn more about Richard Stearns. Please read this interview from Guy Kawasaki. This will definitely give you some insight to this extraordinary person.

I will post my review when I'm finished. I have a feeling I will be posting a lot from this book...

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Thank you for commenting on Rich Stearns’ new book, The Hole in Our Gospel. To find out more information about the book and Stearns, you can visit www.theholeinourgospel.com. You’ll find on this site a lot of great resources and supplemental material to the book. You can also read Rich’s blog and engage in a forum discussion there. It’s a fantastic site – I encourage you to check it out!

    By Anonymous jkuntz, At March 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

  • So I did some reading up on Rich Stearns. Awesome guy, awesome organization (World Vision). I've done work with them in the past with youth groups and helped them produce a marketing video for 30 Hour Famine Weekend Adventures.

    Reading about Rich S. did cause me to ponder a bit. Obviously it is not a sin to be wealthy...also, modest living and contentment are biblical principles...so where do the two meet?

    Specifically, if I give a percentage of my income to the church and other org's and I'm also blessed to have salary increases yearly, then those salary increases also bless the church and the org's I give to...yet, it seems honorable to also increase my percentage of giving to greater numbers as wealth increases also? Doesn't it?

    The government seems to think so...taxing on a sliding scale! And why do I tip my waitress 15% and give God 10%???

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

  • Wow thank for such a beautiful article on reading. I love to do reading in my free time.
    dean graziosi

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 26, 2011 at 4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home