Sunday, March 22, 2009

Take A Stand, Anonymously


It's funny to me how I can post something with spiritual content or encouragement and get 1 to 2 comments, and then post something stupid like "Marijuana Legalization Update" and get 12 comments. I like this one:

Anonymous Said:
Why comment and debate. Aren't you a pastor? Take a stand. I work in the ER, and and I can tell you that I will always have job security because of the idiots smoking a "little marijuana" and then...deciding to throw a little paint thinner in the bonfire...take a knife across one's face including the eye because of a little marijuana...raping the little kid in the bedroom because of...a little marijuana...Anything that would cloud your judgment is wrong and illegal i might add. It's time for pastors and Christians to take a stand and stop posting discussions to the matter.

Well, Anonymous, the answer to your first questions is — yes, I am a pastor. So, my question to you is — What does that have to do with anything? I think every pastor in America should be ready to answer the questions that will arise when marijuana is made legal, 'cause its coming next. The reason I bring it up is because it seems it's not being discussed in the circles I run in. What do we tell our students? What kind of stand will Christians take? Obviously, you don't even want it talked about. You ask, "Why comment and debate?" I ask, "Why not?"

This post is not an advocacy for the legalization of pot. Are you crazy? According to your reasoning, the church should not "post" discussions on alcohol, over-eating, illicit sex, driving too fast or getting over-emotional about a movie you just watched. All of these things effect your thinking and judgment.

Finally, I think you last statement is contradicting. It sound like this, "TAKE A STAND, AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT IT!" To this I say, "NO!" I think it is time for Christians to post it, discuss it and even shout it from the rooftops. I believe I am taking a stand. I want my culture to hear me as a pastor. I want my culture to deal with what I have to say on the matter. For too long, the church as either ignored cultural issues or have simply not had the guts (or brains) to take it on. I have something to add to the conversation and if that makes you uncomfortable, then I won't judge you. Just don't judge those of us who want to join the conversation.

If the "world" is the only one talking, how do you expect anything to change? BTW, thanks for the anonymous encouragement to TAKE A STAND!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Yes! Well said!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 23, 2009 at 6:15 AM  

  • To me, taking a physical "Stand" is always precluded with the vocalization of your convictions or beliefs on that subject. So of course these matters need to be commented on before any movement or action can be taken by an individaul or group (ie The Church).

    Am I wrong?

    Shane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 23, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

  • Great post. When in Rome...When in Athens (Acts 17:16-34)...When in America where pot is soon to be legalized it is time to talk about it.

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 6, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home